Friday, June 19, 2009

Welcome to Those In Glass Houses....

My husband and I have been creating stained glass and mosaic in glass for over 4 years and fused glass for 2 years. It started with only wanting to make one window to decorate the side view next to our front door. But as soon as I cut that first piece of glass, I knew this was the art form I wanted to put my energy and imagination into.

So, it became our hobby.....A gift for a friend, a piece for all the guests at our daughter's wedding, a larger piece for in our guest room and another for our master bathroom (that is my calla lily window at the upper right of this blog) so it went. Then people wanted to buy our work. A friend asked me to make a special piece for her home. An old classmate & his wife bought the guest room piece for a birthday gift for her mother. A friend of a friend wanted a piece done for her home. We were so excited that our glass pieces were actually selling. But it was so hard to keep up while we worked full time.

Then I became a victim of the economy. I was laid off from my job like so many others. A friend of mine, trying to cheer me up, said, "When one door closes, another opens". My husband laughed and said, "There you go, honey. You love doing the stained and fused glass, why not work on selling some of it and starting a business."

And here I am with the support of my husband, my daughter and son-in-law, my family and so many friends, I'm going for it. But to do that I need a catchy name. So, begins, Those in Glass Houses...

I currently have a few of my pieces listed on Etsy, a website that specializes in the buying and selling of anything home made. Check out my shop:

www.ThoseInGlassHouses.etsy.com

I'll also post some pictures of the pieces I've done that are not on Etsy. These are not for sale, they either hang in our home or were given as gifts or previously sold. But if you have an idea for that 'special' piece for your home or for a gift, there's always custom work. Contact me, we'll discuss what you are looking for and I'll do my best to accomplish it.

I'm especially excited about perfecting my technic to recreate a child's art in glass. What a wonderful gift it would be for a mom, dad or grandparent.

I took a class on how to set up your retail business online and that will be my next step.....a web page. I'll keep you posted as to when it will be up and running.

Now.........out to my studio to make another piece of 'art' in glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment